Aug 26, 2022
Physicians feel the pressure to be perfect, and sometimes hide or fail to address their own mental wellness. Medicine’s intense focus on the quality of patient care is generally a good thing, but in some cases has unintended negative consequences. It takes courage for a physician to be vulnerable.
In this episode of the Finance For Physicians Podcast, Daniel Wrenne talks to Dr. John Budin, an accomplished physician, speaker, and blogger. John discusses why he chose to practice medicine and what he describes as the mental health closet.
• John’s Case: Pressure to hide mental health flaws that make physicians human
• Mental Health Closet: Why John finally publicly shared bipolar disorder diagnosis
• Culture of Medicine: Vulnerability is opposite of professionalism and success
• Caregivers vs. Receivers: Difficult for doctors to acknowledge need, ask for help
• License at Risk: Career consequences, repercussions for revealing mental health
• Stigma Solution: Support and care for colleagues struggling with mental health
• Community: Increased mental health awareness with doctors, residents, students
• Physician’s Financial Path: Scary, uncertain aspects of being destabilized in life
• First Step: Get treatment publicly or behind closed doors to remain confidential
• Accept Humanness: Ways to become who you are, authentic, and vulnerable
Just as the right advice helps you thrive financially. The right support team allows you to Excel professionally. Whether be healthcare's Locums experts will match you with the best jobs, prepare you for success and provide 24 7 support.